Sounders falter in Club World Cup
Seattle Sounders knocked out by Ahly, MLS preseason results roll in, and more
An 88th minute goal from Egypt's Al Ahly knocked the Seattle Sounders out of the Club World Cup. The Sounders definitely looked rusty in their pre-season form compared to the Egyptians who are in mid-season. The goal came off a turnover deep in the Seattle half, rebounded off the crossbar, and fell to the attacking side who’s shot deflected into the goal.
- Preseason results from around MLS
- The Professional Referee Organization has a new general manager. Veteran referee Mark Geiger has been named to head PRO, replacing Howard Webb, who departed at the end of last season to head a new referee organization in England.
- Numerous teams around the world now boast players from the United States, and after the latest transfer window, Leeds United in the EPL leads the list with four.
- Until today, that list included Jesse Marsch, but he was fired today as Leeds United coach.
- With the She Believes Cup tournament set to start in less than 2 weeks, injuries have started to mount for the NWSL.
- US Soccer has lost another high-level manager, as Earnie Stewart has left the position of sporting director to take a position with PSV Eindhoven in the Netherlands. He follows Brian McBride who left the role as General Manager of the U.S. Men's National Team last month.
- Lionel Messi’s contract with Paris Saint-Germain expires this summer, and teams have started lining up offers to sign him. PSG is top of the list to offer a new contract, but Barcelona and Inter Miami have been rumored to have made strong offers.
- Harry Kane netted his 267th goal for Tottenham Hotspur to become their top all-time scorer. He's now 60 goals away from the EPL’s goal-scoring record.